|Prep Time||10 mins|
|Cook Time||30 mins|
- 25 grams butter
- 25 grams arrowroot powder
- 700 grams steak cut into small pieces
- 1 large brown onion finely chopped
- 220 grams button mushrooms halved (optional)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp rock salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan.
- Sift the flour into a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss the meat pieces in the flour to lightly coat and then add the meat to the frying pan and keep the remaining seasoned flour to one side.
- Fry the meat in the oil until brown and then add the onion and optional mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the remaining flour into the pan and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and add more seasoning.
- Add the stock to the pan so that the meat is covered. If your frying pan is quite small then you may find it easier to transfer the meat mixture to a bigger saucepan before adding the stock.
- Leave this to simmer for about 30 minutes or until the sauce is as thick or thin as you like it.
Use the fathead dough recipe for the base or alternatively, you can add mashed potato or cauliflower and cheese on top of the pie (depending on your carb intake) and make it into shepherd's pie.