- 200 grams asparagus
- 250 grams butter
- 2 eggs yolks only
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Trim the ends off the asparagus (about 2cm – you’ll know though)
- Heat griddle pan, or BBQ grill
- Place the asparagus spears on the grill and cook until the topside is slightly soft
- Turn and grill quickly on other side.
- Place in the oven to keep warm, whilst making the sauce.
- Melt butter in saucepan
- Pour melted butter into a small jug to allow it to separate and cool (5 minutes)
- Boil a small pot of water on the stove
- In a separate bowl, add together the egg yolks, vinegar and water and whisk
- Place the bowl on top of the boiling water and continue whisking. The steam will cause the eggs to pasteurise and thicken the sauce.
- Continue whisking the egg mixture until thick and hot to the touch.
- Once the mixture is hot, remove the bowl from the heat and set aside.
- Grab the jug of butter and start pouring the oil in to the bowl you’ve set aside, whisking whilst pouring. Pour the butter in gradually.
- Tip: If the sauce looks like it’s about to separate or “split” grab an ice cube and whisk it into the mix – it’ll cool it down and save the sauce.
- Lay out your asparagus on your serving plates and pour over the hollandaise sauce quickly.
- Serve immediately – and eat before the sauce splits!