|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 800 grams eggplants approx 2
- 1 large onion - brown
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 150 grams feta cheese
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 50 grams cheese grated
- 250 ml heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the eggplants into 1/2 inch thick (1cm) slices.
- Brush the melted butter on both sides of the eggplant and place on parchment paper on a baking tray. Bake in oven at 200°C until golden.
- In the meantime, slice the onion thinly then sautee on a medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a layer of baked eggplant slices in a dish, then half of the fried onions, mint, parsley and 2/3 of the feta cheese. Add a final layer of eggplant and the rest of the onion. Finish with additional feta cheese and grated cheese on top.
- Pour over the cream and place the baking dish in the oven at 220°C for 30 minutes until the gratin is golden color and the cream bubbles.
You should salt the eggplant and wait 20–30 minutes until some liquid comes out. Then dry and fry. I think it’s easier to bake the eggplant in the oven.
Variation: Make this gratin with squash or thinly sliced celery root instead, that you pre-bake in the oven in the same way.